Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Low Carb Mexican Chicken Veggie Casserole

Ingredients:
- 3-4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (about five-six breasts)
- Taco Seasoning
- One medium onion, sliced
- One red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cans of green beans, French cut
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes mixed with green chiles) - do not drain

  • Cube chicken in large, bite-size cunks and pan fry in a skillet in butter or oil.
  • After chicken is cooked through, toss with two tablespoons of taco seasoning and place in greased 9x13 casserole dish.
  • In the same skillet, sautee the onion and red pepper until just barely tender-crisp.
  • Drain the two cans of green beans and mix in the casserole dish with the chicken.
  • In a medium size microwaveable bowl, soften cream cheese in the microwave for a minute.
  • Mix in the can of Rotel tomatoes (do not drain) with the softened cream cheese. Just mix it with a spoon until it's an even consistency. Pour this mixture over the chicken and green beans.
  • Spread the cheddar cheese evenly over casserole.
  • Spoon the onions and red peppers evenly over cheese.
  • Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Top with your favorite low carb mexican toppings!! I used salsa and sour cream, but lettuce, avocados, black olives and hot sauce would all be good on top of this easy. This is easy, relatively inexpensive if you can catch chicken breast on sale and it feeds a crowd...

3 comments:

  1. I've been craving Mexican food lately, Angie. Your recipe sounds right up my alley.

    Is this your first time making it? If time permits, I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this was the first time I made this. I am still not sure if I love the green beans in there... My mom just can't seem to get over the fact that I put them in there, but she doesn't even seem to notice after she loads up her plate with salsa and sour cream. I think she likes it because she has eaten it the past three meals. Trust me, getting her to eat green beans is a feat! LOL.

    Anyway, I just made it up as I went along, based on the ingredients already in the house.

    Thanks for the comment, Harry! Send my love to Maddy!!!

    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Angie.. I hope all is well.. I have tried to stay the course of the challenge..but with the move and stuff.. I will be back in 6 weeks.. hang in there

    ReplyDelete