Thursday, September 24, 2009

Low Carb Recipe: Spaghetti Squash Casserole

(This low carb recipe was inspired by this recipe for Italian spaghetti squash bake).

- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sausage
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 whole green pepper, chopped
- 4 oz can mushrooms
- 2 cups Sugar free spaghetti sauce (I used Hunt's sugar free spaghetti sauce)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (I used colby-jack)
- 2 eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray

Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds. Bake, cut-side down, on a cookie sheet for about an hour at 375 degrees. In the meantime, brown ground beef, sausage, onions, green peppers and mushrooms in large skillet or soup kettle. Drain fat and stir in spaghetti sauce of your choice.

Let squash cool for about 20-30 mins and then scrape it out into long spaghetti strands, into a greased 9x12 casserole dished. Stir the eggs into the spaghetti squash. Mix squash together with your spaghetti sauce mixture and top with shredded cheddar and bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Wow, this is very good! My mom hates green peppers, but she loves this. I told her after she was raving about how good it was that I snuck a green pepper in.

2 comments:

  1. Angie,

    re: the flax

    They definitely can thicken up! You've got to find the right dose of both flax and liquid or else you'll end up with pudding! :-)

    PS - If you ever want to mix up the flavor a little bit (and give yourself some added health benefits) you might consider adding a dash or two of cinnamon to the peanut butter shake. I've been doing that lately. I think it tastes good and I hope it's doing my body good too.

    Have a great weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll think more about cooking when this current heat wave passes. It's nearly 100 degrees in some places around here! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon sounds great... I will have to try that out. I want to try something with strawberries and cinnamon for some reason.

    I found some interesting combinations here:

    http://www.projectswole.com/diet/70-protein-shake-recipes/

    100 degrees is protein shake weather!

    ReplyDelete