Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 140 Tips from a Spaghetti Squash Lover

Day 140

- Bratwurst on an oopsie roll with sauteed green peppers & onions, mustard and reduced sugar ketchup
- Swiss cheeseburger on an oopsie roll with romaine lettuce, tomato, purple onion, mayo, mustard and reduced sugar ketchup
- Low carb New York style cheesecake
- Meat sauce served over spaghetti squash noodles*

*I learned a little trick when I baked the spaghetti squash this time. Before, I was baking it a full hour, which were making the strands of squash more squash-like that noodle-like. This time, I only baked it for 45 mins at 350 degrees and it was soooo much better, texture-wise.

To bake spaghetti squash, wash it and cut it in half. Scoop out all the seeds inside. Place rind-side-up on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes and scoop out "noodles" with a fork. This is a fantastic pasta alternative. I even like them better than traditional noodles because they are kind of sweet and just awesome tasting. They are awesome with both tomato sauces and also Alfredo or other white sauces.

If the rind starts to get brown while baking , be sure to pull it because that means it's actually on the over-done side, so pull the pan!

2 comments:

  1. good tip! I love love love spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only recently tried it and I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete